New Years Resolutions. We all have them. We want to challenge ourselves to be healthier, prosper, and be the best version of ourselves. As we reflect (not dwell) on 2015, we all probably can see blissful and bright days as well as some dark and gloomy days. Let me tell you, I did have my share of darkness this year but that’s life. What can we do about it? Well for starters we have to find acceptance within ourselves. Acceptance that we did have these failures and hiccups and to realize that everyone goes through some darkness at one point or another in their lives. If we can’t come to accept and make peace with our past, then we won’t be able to achieve all that we want to achieve in 2016 and beyond. It will weigh us down like a ton of bricks. So let’s make a virtual cheers to letting go of 2015 and let’s greet 2016 with a smile.
“Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
I want to share with you my 10 New Year’s resolutions for a Blissful year in 2016. I hope this inspires you to plan and achieve greatness and bliss in the new year.
1. Get strong and toned. I want to get my focus off of the pounds and on to the way I feel and see myself. As a fitness professional I believe focusing on your weight can be the worst thing you can do when trying shed some inches and feel better about yourself. I’ve gone months and months not losing one pound but I notice that I feel stronger than the month before and I like what I’m seeing in the mirror. So let’s stop beating ourselves up over what the scale is telling us and start uplifting ourselves because we feel better than yesterday.
2. Pay yourself. I don’t mean get a paycheck from work or contribute to your 401k (which isn’t a bad idea). I’m mean pay yourself every paycheck and put that money into your savings. This can be so you can save money to pay a big bill off or take a vacation. This is something I want to work on this year. My finances. I’m sure many of you are with me on this especially after the Christmas and holiday splurge.
3. Get organized. Get yourself a planner this year. Stay on top of your priorities. My challenge for myself this year is to utilize “To Do” lists and set intentions and goals each week. I just got a kikki.K planner for myself so I can start being more organized and hopefully more goal oriented in 2016.
4. Try/Experiment with new foods. Let’s face it, we all go to the foods we know best. The broccoli, carrots, potatoes and apples. It’s comfortable and it’s what we are used to. Well let’s get uncomfortable and try some beets, Bok Choy or any fruit or vegetable that you’ve never had before. The internet is filled with recipes that are simple, fast, and taste great. So get out there and create adventure in the kitchen.
5. Practice self-care at least once a week. We all get busy and let me tell you sometimes my nail polish starts chipping and my eyebrows start growing wild without me even realizing it. Let’s take the time to care for ourselves. Whether it be giving yourself a mani/pedi, tidying up those brows, taking a bath, writing in your journal or giving yourself a mask. Do something nice for yourself. FYI: the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay is one of my favorite masks that I just discovered this year.
6. Learn something new. Have you been wanting to take a hot yoga class, cooking class, or learn to make jewelry? Well there’s no better time than 2016 to give your interest some attention. Take up that new hobby and let your creativity soar.
7. More relationship time, less technology time. We have got to put our phones down people. I’m guilty, your guilty, we’re all guilty. We live in a different world and frankly we are becoming addicted to our phones. Relationships are such an important aspect in our lives and play a part in our health, believe it or not. We need healthy blooming relationships and we can’t grow them if our faces, finger, and eyeballs are glued to our phones. This year I want to have Tech-Free Tuesdays, game nights, and outdoor adventures with my family and friends.
8. Give back. Giving back makes people feel good. You’re giving your time to a good cause or uplifting someone’s day. Find a way to give back your time to your community. I love going to Volunteer Match and looking for ways to give back. This year I need to put my thoughts into action and give back because you never know when you might need the giving.
9. Stay in touch. I’m so so guilty of this. I get so busy with life that I forget to call my friends that have moved away. Friends are huge in my life and when a lot of them started moving away and starting their lives in different states I told myself, “I will stay in touch with them as much as possible.” Those were my famous last words. For me NOT to fail miserably at this in 2016, I will use my handy dandy planner and remind myself to call my friends or schedule a Skype date. There’s nothing better than catching up with your darlings and getting in that girl talk. 🙂
10. TRAVEL!!! As we aren’t busy enough. But did you know that Americans are taking the fewest vacation days in four decades (read more)! Crazy right? If you have the days take them. We all need a getaway. It doesn’t have to be some luxurious spa getaway but just take sometime to go somewhere you’ve been wanting to visit. Maybe a National Park or State Park. I love looking up new places through the National Park Service. There are lists upon lists of places that you never knew existed. Another reason why I love the worldwide web.
What are some of your New Year’s Resolutions? Was this list helpful? I hope I can achieve all of these this year starting with #3, which will help me plan my time for everything else. haha.
I wish all of you the best in the New Year. I can’t wait to see where this year takes us.