Thank you Great Lakes Gelatin for Sponsoring this post.
As a thirty something year old, I’m constantly looking for ways to preserve my youth. I believe you’re only as old as you feel so I do my best to use the best products for my body, exercise, and get lots of shut eye.
One of the things I incorporate into my daily life is Collagen. It has so many amazing benefits beyond just healthy skin.
Fun Fact: As we get older that process isn’t as easy for our body and collagen production begins to dwindle down 1-2% yearly after the age 30. By the age of 40, we have lost 10% to 20% of our collagen!
What is Collagen?
It’s a protein. Not just any ol’ protein but the most abundant structural protein found in our body. It’s in our bones, teeth, tendons, skin, hair, and so much more. It’s essentially the glue holding our body together! Crazy right? I read in this article that gram for gram collagen is stronger than steel!💪🏽
So how do we get Collagen into our bodies?
Our body! Our body can make collagen out of amino acids that we consume through food. Some amino acid rich foods are egg whites, cod, and spirulina but they only contain 2 of the 3 amino acids needed to make collagen.
That’s where supplements come in and why I love using Great Lakes Gelatin (GLG) Collagen Hydrolysate. Hydrolyzed collagen is a unique because it contains high amounts of all three Amino Acids – Alanine, Glycine, and Proline. You won’t find this amount in any other protein supplements. This is an effective supplement to replenish the same collagen found naturally in your bones, skin, and cartilage.
5 Benefits of Collagen
Promotes Healthy Skin & Hair
- Increasing collagen levels can help your skin look firmer.
- Increase smoothness and helps your skin cells keep renewing and repairing normally.
- Reduces cellulite and stretch marks
- Strengthens hair and reduces breakage
- Acts as a lubricant between joints.
- Reduces joint pain associated with activity and aging.
- Lowers your risk for joint deterioration.
- Example: Think of the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz. That’s your body without collagen. The more collagen you have in your body, the less stiff you will be.
Strengthens Hair, Nails, and Teeth
- Have you ever had splitting nails or nails that just break? Well you’re probably lacking collagen in your body.
- Collagen promotes the growth of healthy and strong nails.
- Supports healthy teeth and gums.
- Keratin, collagen, and minerals support hair growth. Don’t leave out the collagen!
Improve Liver Health
- Liver damage from alcohol, toxins, and foreign substances can be minimized with the amino acid “glycine” in Collagen.
- If you’re looking to detox your body of harmful substances, improve blood flow and keep your heart young, collagen is extremely helpful.
- Detoxing I find is easiest in the morning with collagen boosted coffee.
- Collagen promotes lean muscle tissue.
- Increases the amount of calories your body burns off throughout the day (resting metabolic rate) from physical activity, genetics, and lean body mass.
- Muscle burns up to 3 times the calories that fat does. (Muscle about 6 calories/lb vs. Fat about 2 calories/lb)
- You may not see results on the scale but you will see changes to your body. Take your measurements to keep track of this.
These are just a couple of benefits that collagen has in your body. Since taking collagen, my nails have become more strong, I’ve noticed my hair growing a lot faster, and my clothes are fitting better.
You can put GLG Collagen Hydrolysate in coffee, water, smoothies, or juices. It has no flavor or texture which I really like because it makes incorporating it into my daily life really easy. I made this delicious Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie in my Facebook Live Video and it’s to die for! If you missed the video you can check it out here.
Try Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate for 20% off using code GLGLife20 (expires 3/15/18).