If you’re like Andrew and I, you live in a busy city with sirens and lots of noise. Trying to get out of town can be a tedious task and not always cheap. But this weekend we actually managed to skip town for under $150. Getting away doesn’t have to be expensive. Here are my favorite ways to escape the city hustle and bustle.
5 Easy Inexpensive Ways to Get Away
- Camping!– Camping is probably my all time favorite thing to do to get away from the city and get a little peace and quiet. You get to enjoy the outdoors, explore your surrounding and eat yummy S’mores! Search for state parks or campgrounds near by for a little weekend getaway. Andrew and I just went to Anza-Borrgo Desert State Park and stayed at a little resort called Butterfield Ranch. It was a wopping $40 for the weekend with free showers and access to a pool and hot tub 🙂
- Hiking– Finding hikes nearby can put you out in nature and is also good for your health. You get two for your money with this one.
- Go Fish-If you enjoy the outdoors going fishing is always fun and relaxing. Sit the shore line and crack a cold one or grab a motor boat and soak up the sun.
- Visiting Historical Towns/Landmarks-Did you know there are 2,533 historical landmarks in the U.S.? Yup! So go out and explore some of histories precious places. Not always away from the city but it can make for an interesting day. Find historical landmarks by states here.
- Rent a Kayak/Canoe– these can get pricey depending on your location. I’m in San Diego, so things are super expensive here. A full day Kayak rental is about $55/person. Which isn’t crazy expensive but can add up with the family. Always check our your local Groupon and Living Social. These websites can save you major bucks.
What are some of your favorite things to do to get out in nature?
Our Little Get Away
Where: Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
We had such a great time camping this weekend and getting out of the city. We live close to a hospital so the sirens are non stop and the traffic is loud. Andrew and I thought what a better way to get away from it all than to go camping. That’s exactly what we did. I found Butterfield Ranch out in Anza-Borrego Desert here in San Diego County for only $20/night. It was only 2 hours away and we both had never been. So after work Friday we skipped town and got on the road.
We arrived at Butterfield Ranch and were welcomed by a very friendly smiling man. We found ourselves a shady spot and pitched our tent. 🙂
This was the perfect weekend to go camping because 1. There was a full moon all weekend and 2. There was a lunar eclipse on Saturday morning.
The sun set and we made ourselves a little campfire. The night couldn’t have been more perfect.
The next morning we explored the area but not before we cooked ourselves up some protein pancakes! Remember from my Breakfast Bake post I’m not the breakfast cook, especially when it comes to pancakes…Andrew is the pro.
After we filled our bellies up with deliciousness we set out to explore for the day. I looked up some hikes near by and we were in for a treat. Pictographs and Kumeyaay Indian morteros were just tucked up a little ways up from where we were staying.
This was such a good trip and getaway. We got to see things we never knew existed and were surrounded by natures beauty. We will definitely be going back to the Anza-Borrego Desert.
Now I have some questions for you, my lovely readers.
Do you like to camp (be honest)?
What have been some of your favorite places?
Let me know in the comments below.