Winter and spring is the time we use to get healthy and there is a lot of time and effort that goes into getting our bodies summer ready. From spring detoxes to bikini body challenges we’ve done them all. Summer comes and we’re ready to paaaaarty! Today I want to talk about some simple tips that you can do this summer to help your hard earned body survive all those fun BBQs and parties.
5 Easy Tips to Surviving Summer BBQs & Parties
1. Consider Healthy Alternatives
- Opt in for healthier meat choices like grass fed beef and turkey burgers that are organic and nitrate free. Processed meats contain nitrates that preserve the meat but when exposed at high heat turn into nitrosamine. Most types of nitrosamines are potent carcinogens which can be harmful to the human body.
- When serving your choice of meat think whole-grain and high fiber bread. This will help with the digestion and provide more nutrients. You can also serve it in collard greens to get an extra boost of greens.
- Swap those sugary marinades and sauces for homemade spice rubs or natural seasoning. I love Grizzly Joe’s Seasoning. They are all natural, gluten-free and contain no MSGs. My favorite is California Dreamin’.
2. BYOS (Bring Your Own Salad)
This is one thing that is always left out of a BBQ. Bring your own salad so you have an excuse to opt out of that potato salad that “Chelsea” brought.
3. Snack Light
Keep your snacking light by munching on a combination of protein and natural carbohydrates like hummus and veggies or a handful of nuts. This will keep you satisfied until the main course.
4. Drink Responsibly
Summers are made for cold beverages and the liquid calories add up quickly. Ditch the dehydrating sodas and cocktails for infused or sparkling waters.
5. Sweat It Out
We all know what happens after you eat a fulfilling meal. We want to relax and chill out. To avoid this post-BBQ slump, play a team based activity (volleyball, frisbee, badminton, catch) or take a walk. Doing 30 mins of physical activity can burn some calories and also help with digestion.
If you’re anything like me you love those summer social gatherings, BBQs, and parties. I love these habits to help maintain my healthy lifestyle and my hard earned progress. Practice these tips at your next get together and you’ll be feeling guilt-free every time. Remember everything in moderation. No you don’t always have to skip the chips and dip but be mindful to how much you’re actually eating and always search for that healthy alternative.
What are some of your healthy BBQ snacks?
Have any fun plans for the 4th of July?
Let me know in the comments below.